Southern Discoveries is looking for an experienced Deckhand to join the team in Milford Sound. This is a great opportunity to join an iconic tourism operator, with the opportunity to advance your career towards being a skipper.
What do we need from you?
- Ideally you are a qualified Deckhand under Maritime New Zealand, however we will consider equivalent relevant experience, and we will support you to complete the formal qualification
- Able to start ASAP
- Maturity, the ability to work calmly under pressure, and to think on your feet
- Team spirit, with the ability to build relationships with your workmates
- Willingness to work in customer service, helping to clean the boat, and assist with food and beverage sales
- Energy and Resilience
- Comfortable living in a remote environment in shared accommodation (own room
Candidates with the the following will be given preference: First Aid and VHF ticket or MRROC ticket; fire training or crowd control training.
The role is all about ensuring our guests have an outstanding experience. We have a lot of fun, but we also work very hard, keeping our vessels clean, safe and welcoming at all times.
In return you will receive full training, uniform, your own room in subsidised accommodation, and access to a fully stocked communal kitchen. We work a roster of 10 days on and 4 days off (no evening work required), to give you the opportunity to explore this stunning region. You will have the opportunity to learn from our highly experience Skippers and Fleet manager in the maintenance of vessels.
If you are successfully shortlisted you will be invited to come for interview overnight in Milford Sound to see if remote living is for you.
Southern Discoveries is a premium tourism company dedicated to sharing some of New Zealand’s most iconic scenery and extraordinary experiences with the world. The company offers a range of cruises, as well as kayaking and an underwater observatory in Milford Sound, with coach and scenic flight transfers from Queenstown and Te Anau. In Queenstown, we operate trips to Mt Nicholas High Country farm including farm experiences and cycling, and also specialise in private charters, conference and incentive packages. The company operates a number of retail outlets in Queenstown, Te Anau and Milford Sound.